Oil has the benefit of never wearing out – it can be cleaned and reused many times. In other words – it should be recycled. The process for recycling waste oil includes water extraction, filtering, de-asphalting, and distillation. The oil can then be reused in motorized equipment, turned into hydraulic oil, or used to make plastics.
Another way to use waste oil efficiently is as heating fuel. For example, waste oil heaters and boilers use waste oil as a fuel source to heat water or provide warmth in colder months. There are also disposal facilities available for unwanted waste oil. These facilities will properly recycle waste oil for other uses – for a price.
Although there are many ways to recycle and reuse waste oil, burning it in a waste oil heater has the most benefits. So today, we look at the benefits of using waste oil instead of having your oil hauled off.
Benefits of Using Waste Oil
Improper disposal or storage of waste oil can damage human health and the surrounding environment. Yet, waste oil has surprising benefits when recycled or reused. It is not a byproduct that you should mishandle or squander. There are several benefits to using waste oil instead of disposing of it:
- It’s better for the environment. Recycling or reusing waste oil prevents damage to the environment. Improperly disposing of or wasting oil contaminates soil and water.
- It’s cost-efficient. Business owners can reduce monthly energy and heating bills by reusing waste oil as fuel for waste oil heaters or boilers. Waste oil heaters and boilers not only save money, but they also end up paying for themselves in as little as a year.
- Waste oil doesn’t expire. Oils can be used countless times. The only drawback is that it gets dirty over time, hence the importance of cleaning oil for reuse. Waste oil is a reliable and reusable energy source.
- Waste oil use limits energy consumption. Raw material processing requires the greatest amount of energy expenditure. Recycling used oil limits energy consumption. Minimizing the energy output by recycling and reusing waste oil is also cost-efficient.
- It helps conserve natural resources. Reusing waste oils reduces the need for mass production of new oil from untouched habitats. By conserving resources, it protects the environment from further harm.
- It keeps waste out of landfills. When waste oils are recycled and reused, they do not end up in landfills. Putting waste oil in abandoned underground storage tanks can pollute the surrounding water and land, destroying the environment. Oils should never be placed in landfills, especially when waste oil has benefits.
- Waste oil creates an efficient heat source. Waste oil can be a fuel source, particularly for heat. By using waste oil heaters, you can use this oil for efficient heat production.
- Waste oil use contributes to jobs. Waste oil can positively impact the unemployment rate by creating more jobs in recycling facilities. When there is a greater demand for waste oil recycling, and people use the services regularly, more jobs are created to meet that demand.
- Waste oil isn’t just for motorized equipment. Recycled waste oil can be used to generate electricity. Two gallons of recycled oil can create enough electricity for an average household for nearly 24 hours.
- It contributes to advancements in technology. Waste oil heaters and boilers use waste oil technology. Therefore, waste oil creates a need for more technological advancements as people find new ways to use it.
Recycling/reusing your waste oil products is beneficial for the environment and human health. It conserves energy, creates jobs, and serves as a fuel source.
EnergyLogic can help you and your business find beneficial ways to reuse waste oil rather than simply disposing of it. Contact us today for more information.